Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Belt Sander Tire (Drive Sleeve)

Belt Sander Tire (Drive Sleeve) 9 years 1 week ago #2831

Does anybody have any suggestions for a replacement drive tire for a belt sander? Of course, I can't order just the rubber piece that I need, I have to order a whole "lower roller assembly".

I'm seriously thinking about a piece of motorcycle innertube and some high-tack.

Anybody have a better idea?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Belt Sander Drive 9 years 1 week ago #2838

• Berry
  • Senior Boarder
No ideas but I am curious...did the original wear out or???

Re: Belt Sander Tire (Drive Sleeve) 9 years 1 week ago #2839

I don't know if "worn out" is exactly correct, but it's close to 50 years old and the rubber is in pretty bad shape.

I've got the whole thing apart for new bearings & general refurbishing, so I figured it'd be a good time to replace the tire.

Post subject: Belt Sander Tire (Drive Sleeve) 9 years 1 week ago #2842

• AZ IRONWOOD
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Were you considering cutting the cycle innertube crosswise; and then rolling it onto the drum, as a cylindrical sleeve? [the method used with certain foil-wrapped latex products] Or, were you planning on cutting a long strip from the innertube, and applying it in a spiral, like the replacement sleeves on a drumsander?
I believe the rolling cylindrical sleeve method would be the best, but perhaps the most difficult to accomplish. It may be a challenge to find an innertube whose thickness is equal, throughout the material. Usually the wall thickness is thicker at that portion which forms the inside diameter versus the outside diameter {the inside wall of the 'donut', compared to the outside wall} This slight difference in thickness, will cause a slight change or 'washboard' effect, as you're sanding. Be interesting to see your end results.

Re: Belt Sander Tire (Drive Sleeve) 9 years 1 week ago #2848

I was planning to roll it on there in one piece. I'm not talented or patient enough to cut a long strip and spiral-wrap it around a tapered drum.

Thanks for the info on the wall thickness. I was not aware that it varied. I'll check that when I get home tonight. The local bike shop gave me 3 different tubes to try, so hopefully one of them should work.

Once the high-tack has set up, I was going to scuff up the surface of the rubber real good.. sounds like I should spin the drum and use a sanding block to make sure it's true.

I'll post some pics if this works.
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds